Sunday, June 5, 2022

A Cross-Cultural Embrace | Mariachis Ride Into Uvalde, Texas With Songs of Heartache and Hope

Today, June 5, 2022, the New YorkTimes published a poignant and beautiful story of mariachi musicians spontaneously gathering from across Texas in the town of Uvalde, where nineteen children and three adults were massacred in their school this past week by a teenager with an assault rifle. 

The mariachis came to offer the town's people what they have in their souls, songs of grieving and comfort. One of the songs they sang was "Un día a la vez", "One day at a time". It is a song known by virtually every Mexican. It is totally Mexican in spirit, a voice of popular Mexican culture, but it carries a universal message that we think everyone should hear. Hence, we are publishing it here. 

Below are the Spanish lyrics, followed by an English translation. For those with subscriptions to the New York Times, at the end, there is a link to the powerful article. 

 **** 

Hoy, el New YorkTimes publicó una conmovedora y hermosa historia de músicos de mariachi que se reunieron espontáneamente de todo Texas al pueblo Uvalde, donde diecinueve niños y tres adultos fueron masacrados en su escuela la semana pasada por un adolescente con un rifle de asalto. 

Los marichis vinieron a ofrecer a la gente del pueblo lo que tienen en sus almas, cantos de duelo y consuelo. Una de las canciones que cantaron fue "Un día a la vez". Es una canción conocida por prácticamente todos los mexicanos. Tiene un espíritu totalmente mexicano, es una voz mexicana pero lleva un mensaje universal que creemos que todos deberían escuchar. Por lo tanto, la estamos publicando aquí. 

Entonces, a continuación están las letras en español, seguidas de una traducción al inglés. Para aquellos con suscripciones al New York Times, al fin hay un enlace al artículo poderoso.

Yo quiero vivir 
Un día a la vez 

Necesitado Me encuentro, Señor Ayúdame a ver, yo quiero saber Lo que debo hacer Muestra el camino Que debo seguir
Señor, por mi bien,
yo quiero vivir Un día a la vez Un día a la vez,
Dios mío Es lo que pido de ti Dame la fuerza para vivir Un día a la vez
Ayer ya paso, Dios mío Mañana, quizá no vendrá Ayúdame hoy Yo quiero vivir un día a la vez
Tú ya viviste Entre los hombres Tú sabes, mi Dios, que hoy está peor Es mucho el dolor Hay mucho egoísmo Y mucha maldad
Señor, por mi bien, yo quiero vivir Un día a la vez Un día a la vez, Dios mío Es lo que pido de ti Dame la fuerza para vivir Un día a la vez
Ayer ya paso, Dios mío Mañana, quizá no vendrá Ayúdame hoy Yo quiero vivir
un día a la vez Ayúdame hoy,
yo quiero vivir Un día a la vez.

 **** 

I want to live 
One day at a time 

I find myself in need. 
Lord, help me see; 
I want to know what I should do. 
Show the way 
That I should follow, Lord, 
for my own sake. 

I want to live 
One day at a time. 
One day at a time, My God, 
is what I ask of you. 
Give me the strength to live 
One day at a time. 

Yesterday has already passed. 
My God, 
Tomorrow, perhaps, won't come. 
Help me today. 
I want to live one day at a time. 

You have already lived among men. 
You know, my God, that today is worse. 
There is a lot of pain. 
There is a lot of selfishness and a lot of evil. 

Lord, for my sake I want to live 
One day at a time. 
One day at a time, my God, 
is what I ask of you. 
Give me the strength to live One day at a time. 

Yesterday has passed, my God. 
Tomorrow may not come. 
Help me today. 
I want to live 
one day at a time. 
Help me today. 
I want to live 
One day at a time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/04/us/mariachis-uvalde-victims.html

No comments:

Post a Comment